LED (Light Emitting Diodes) has become popular in and around the home these days as a low energy, safe and concentrated light source.
In the medical field LED has been used increasingly in recent years to help improve problems of the skin, for the treatment of acute and chronic pain, to treat SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and in wound healing. Invisible red light at the optimal wavelength of 830nm penetrates all the way to bone, stimulating blood circulation and the formation of new capillaries; increases lymphatic activity: and stimulates collagen production, making it an excellent adjunct therapy after any surgical procedure, or treatments of any kind (eg skin peels and dermal fillers).
There is a lot of evidence showing that treatment with LED prior to surgery will help get the skin and underlying tissues in optimal condition to encourage immediate and more efficient healing, following your surgery. Treatments twice weekly in the first 2- 3 weeks post-surgery has shown to significantly cut healing time by half. LED is also used in the treatment of pain, oedema (swelling) and erythema (redness).
We were looking for a non-invasive treatment that would aid the healing process for our surgical clients and to rejuvenate the skin as so many Sunshine Coast locals are severely sun-damaged. As with everything we do, we have researched light therapy treatments thoroughly before deciding to purchase a machine.
The Lutronic Healite II LED stood out from the crowd. R.Glen Calderhead is the industry leader in LED technology, having been part of the team that discovered the benefits of Low Level Light Therapy LLLT, now known as LED (Light Emitting Diode).
- Wound healing in both hard and soft tissues, including the donor and recipient sites of skin grafts.
- Collagen production is stimulated, the most important component of wound healing.
- Blood flow is increased, delivering oxygen and nutrients to accelerate natural tissue healing processes.
- Increased lymphatic activity, which helps to reduce swelling and the discomfort / pain associated with swelling.
- Increased lymphatic drainage means more efficient toxin removal.
- Stimulates cellular reproduction and the replacement of damaged cells.
- Stimulates tissue granulation and the formation of connective tissue
- Stimulates acupuncture points and immune responses.
- Stimulates and increases the production of endorphins from the brain which in turn elevate your mood and help to reduce pain.
- Attenuation of pain in chronic and acute instances.
- All of these processes have the added benefit of creating healthier, and more plump and hydrated skin.
Laboratory studies have found that skin cells grow 150-200% faster when exposed to the correct wavelength of LED light. It is thought that light photons which have been absorbed by the skin and its underlying tissue trigger biological changes within the body in a process known as photo-bio modulation.
How is the HeaLite II LED different from other LED treatments?
- The technology behind the HeaLite II is unique. A wavelength of 890nm is universally acknowledged as optimum for penetrating to bone. As well as 890nm, the HeaLite II utilises a sequence of 590nm (visible yellow) to pre-condition the cells, so the treatment is optimised.
- All light is convergent – ie gets less strong as it leaves the source and scatters. Each LED of the HeaLite II is covered with a dome that focuses the energy and prevents this scattering, resulting in concentrated output and less time required for each treatment.
- The HeaLite II has 1800 new generation LEDs in its head, far more than any other LED on the market.
- The head is large and flexible, getting the LEDs closer to their target (which should ideally be less than 10 cm from your skin).
- All of this means more effective treatment results and less time.
What can I expect during a treatment?
You will be placed under the lamp for 13.5 minutes. The light is yellow and very bright! You will keep your eyes closed throughout. You cannot use eye shields. The lights flash from left to right throughout the treatment. At 60 seconds you will begin to feel some heat, this is not from the lamp, but rather from the reaction in your cells as they absorb the energy from the 890nm wavelength of near infra-red light. The area treated will get very warm.
Is it safe?
The light source does not have any harmful UVA and UVB. The treatment is not painful and does not cause trauma to the skin, nor is there any downtime after treatment.
How do I prepare for a treatment?
Come to your appointment with no make-up or sunscreen as these may contain zinc or titanium oxides which acts as mirrors and reflect light (including sunlight), rendering the treatment useless.
What results can I expect?
Results will vary depending on the reason for your treatment. Most people say that their skin looks plump and fresh after just one treatment. The best results come from twice weekly treatments.
Are there any side effects?
You may experience some reddening of the skin initially, due to the heat generated from the treatment, this will disappear within an hour or less.
Do I need to prepare for the treatment?
Your skin must be clean and free of make-up for the treatments.